Whether animal rights is your favorite cause or if you just hate the idea of smearing some less-than-appealing ingredients on your face (yes, most cosmetic companies actually do use insect legs and fish scales), here’s a list of some the best quality cosmetic companies -- cruelty free.
- Urban Decay. Always popular with a reputation for quality and the product to back it. Urban Decay is renowned for their Naked eyeshadow palettes. Urban Decay is not only cruelty free but they have also been certified so by Leaping Bunny, an organization that seeks to inform consumers which brands are cruelty-free.
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics. Obsessive Compulsive is known primarily for their Lip Tars, a gloss-like lipstick in tube packaging that comes in many different shades and formats, including matte. The icing on the cake? Every one of their products is not only cruelty free, but vegan as well, including their brushes!
- BareMinerals. BareMinerals are unique within the industry for their mineral-based products, including a number of skin care products alongside the typical cosmetic solutions. BareMinerals is owned by a parent company, Bare Escentuals, and both are 100% cruelty free.
- Beauty Without Cruelty. This brand has been setting standards for cruelty-free makeup since 1959. All their products are 100% cruelty free of course, but on top of that, all the ingredients used in their products are vegan -- completely free of any animal product!
- Emani. Certified by PETA as a vegan and cruelty-free makeup brand, Emani was created founder Michelle Doan realized her cystic acne was worsened by the ingredients in mainstream cosmetic companies. According to their mission statement, Emani is not just a cosmetic company, but a skin care company as well.
- The All Natural Face. Like Emani, The All Natural Face was the result of poor experiences with mainstream cosmetic companies. All of the All Natural Face’s products are made with minerals to avoid applying damaging chemicals onto your skin. And on top of all that? The All Natural Face is 100% cruelty free and vegan, too!