Hot Cheetos are the one snack I find it very hard to eat in moderation. You eat one, then one turns into an entire 9 ounce bag. But there's no need to worry! You can get your Hot Cheeto fix on the daily without going overboard. This recipe is inspired by POPSUGAR but we decided to tweak it a bit to add a bit more nutrients.
This is a protein-packed kale salad with Hot Cheeto crumbs. A lot of people will add croutons, tortilla strips, or onion strings to their salad and I don't see how this is any different.
Here's what you'll need:
A bunch of kale
1/2 cup of chia seeds
1 cup of red wine vinegar & olive oil dressing
A bag of Gardein 'chicken' strips (for vegetarians)
A can of chickpeas
A bag of Hot Cheetos
3 tbsp olive oil
1. First, heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add "chicken" strips, sauté for 5-7 minutes or until browning. When these are done, put them in a small bowl on the side to cool down.
Here's what you'll need to do:
2. In a larger bowl, empty all of your greens after they've been washed. Pour a cup of red wine vinegar & olive oil dressing, little by little, while tossing the salad.
3. Once the blend of greens is coated with dressing, you are free to add the chickpeas and chia seeds. I added the entire can of chickpeas (after being drained) and 1/2 cup of chia seeds. Toss.
4. You will not need an entire bag of Hot Cheetos for the topping. Personally, I ate most of the bag I had and left some at the bottom. Once they were at the bottom, I closed the bag and smashed it with my hands. If the bag is too full, I recommend using a food processor to get desired crumbs.
5. Once your Hot Cheetos are smashed into dust and smaller pieces, you are ready to serve. Add the salad to individual bowls, add the chicken on top, and let your guests decide if they want hot cheetos crumbles on top of their salad. I like to add more chia seeds on top!
This is the perfect salad for those who are new to the world of kale. Chia seeds for fiber and omega-3, 'chicken' strips for protein, kale for antioxidants and Hot Cheetos for deliciousness.